Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Free Aided Language Displays for stamp art activity

Looking at my blog stats I can see that the DIY foam stamps and ink pad post has been a popular idea/activity. (See here for post) For this reason I have decided to give you all a free Aided Language Display (ALD) to use when making art with stamps.

If you are not familiar with what an ALD is, and how to use it, please read my post on Aided Language Displays here. Basically they are a communication tool that is based on picture communication symbols which a child with limited or no language can use to communicate simple ideas for any given topic or activity. I have used them extensively when teaching students with special needs.


In order to make one for yourself just click on the picture below, save and print! As mentioned in the other post I do recommend you laminate it before use so it doesn't get damaged. Trust me this is very likely!


I designed it so children can comment about how they think their art looks using beautiful or yucky. They can also request the tools they need to complete the activity, ink pad, paper, stamps. I thought it was good to include 'turn' as well as sometimes children want their play partners to take a turn adding to their art. I know my child does! Stamp art can also get messy, messy tables, messy hands so I've added cells where children can ask to clean their hands or comment that something is messy or dirty. Push has been added there as a child might ask for help to push or press the stamp. They might want to tell you that they want to press the stamp. And with the 'different' cell they can of course request a different stamp or colour. 'Finished' gives the child the opportunity to say they've had enough which I think is important. 

What I thought might also be useful for this activity is another ALD with just colours and shapes. Just click on the picture, save, print and laminate. You can use this for this activity so children can choose colours. If your stamps are of shapes then they can also make comments about the shapes they'd like. Of course this is a useful ALD for any art project or where you are working with colours and shapes. For example you might be building with Lego and want your child to communicate what colour block they want.

Note- These ALD's are my own work. While I obviously don't mind people using them for personal use, in under no circumstances are they to be used for commercial gain. If you would like to share these with other people please do not copy and paste them on another blog, website etc. but rather link back to the posts here at We are Happy Playing.

Please if you are using these ALD's let me know how you go in the comment section below. I would love to know if they are of any help and if you think something should be changed or added.

Happy playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment